Cultural and History Heritage


The heroism of the native inhabitants is perpetuated by monuments erected in the village of Batoshevo (Region of Sevlievo) and the area of Ravni Bunar above the Ostrets Quarter. The last battle of the rebels with the Ottoman pursuit-party was here on 11 May 1876.
The monument can be reached on foot along the blazed path from Ostrets quarter to Russalka Peak and Tuzha Hut. Until the Liberation in Novo Selo there was one temple and one chapel. Already during 1812 -1814 the big stone church St. Paraskeva was built. Its roof was made from soil and heavy slabstones, were stacked on it. The church is nearly fully dug into the ground, in accordance with the then laws and has a nave and two aisles with one apse of pseudo-basilical type. Because of the prohibition of the Ottomans, it did not have windows and a bell tower; nor were there any facade decorations.
The iconostasis of the temple is a complex interlaced work of twigs, leaves, flowers and fruit. It was made by the famous wood-carvers from Novo Selo. On the holy gates, a two-headed eagle and human figures were carved. Nowadays the church is a monument of culture. In 1830 St. Trinity Convent was built, consisting of a chapel, cells for nuns and a cookhouse. The year after the first printed Gospel was brought from the Holy Rila Monastery. The convent was destroyed by fire and plundered during the April Uprising, but the patriotic Bulgarians reconstructed it after the Liberation. It treasures old manuscripts and early printed books.
In 1896 the first sod was turned and the foundation stone of the temple-monument St. Georgi the Victor was laid. It was sanctified on 23 April 1904 bythe Skopje's bishop Maxim.
An overhaul and a new decorating of the temple was made in 1976 in connection with the hundredth anniversary of the April Upraising in Novo Selo.
A large part of the houses of the Bulgarian National Revival in Novo Selo were burnt by the Ottomans during the pogrom of the April Uprising in 1876. However, in the neighborhoods located onthe Cherni Peak and in the quarters O s t r е t s , Vidima, and Zla Reka there are still houses in good repair, built 150 - 200 years ago, a typical example of a one-time architecture.

 
top