History of Apriltsi : Apriltsi | Centralnorth Bulgaria

History


In the past centuries Thracians and Romans dwelled in this region. But only in the west part of the Novo Selo's hollow there were 15 mounds located near the settlements. When excavating two of them in the place called Chuklata burials were found. According to the gray Thracian ceramics, found in them, archeologists assign the burials to 4th-3rd centuries B.C. It is supposed that the upper river valleys of the rivers Rositsa and Vidima were dwelled by Thracians from the tribe Tribali, who mined gold at the springs of the Semova River under the Zhaltets Peak. During the Roman domination, an important road was passing through the hollow of Novo Selo, connecting the provinces Miziya and Thracia. To defend it Romans built fortresses at the Golyam Ostrets Peak and at the Rusaliyski Passage. This road branched off at Nikopolis ad Istrum /village of Nikyup, district of Veliko Tarnovo/ from the main Roman road that connected Nove /Svishtov/ and Philipopolis /Plovdiv/ and went along the valleys of the Rositsa River and Vidima River towards the fortress located near the today's village of Gradnitsa in the region of Sevlievo. From there, through Boaza it lead to the hollow of Novo Selo and through the Rusaliyski Passage along the valley of the river Tazha it went down to Thracia. Nowadays this road is not used, but it is a perfect opportunity for hiking routes.
The beginnings of today's settlement were laid by refugees from the region of Tarnovo after Bulgaria fell under Ottoman yoke. Since then some places have borne names such as Bolyarskoto (Boyar's) and Tsarevo Loze (Tsar's Vineyard). Later in the 18th century, a new wave of Bulgarians from the region of Sevlievo, Tarnovo and even from the southern part of our country ran towards the mountain because of the Kurdjalian raids. Already at the time of Ottoman slavery the waters of the rivers were used to set in motion numerous water-mills, filling-mills and saw-mills. Thereby the first name of the settlement appears -Tahtadzhikioy (Wooden village). The legend tells that burglars attacked the village, burnt it down and killed a great part of the population. Those who managed to hide in the mountains, came back after a while. After restoration the settlement was called Enikioy - Novo selo /New village/. During the time of the Bulgarian National Revival thanks to its good geographic location, Novo Selo rose as a trade and educational centre of the hollow and neighbour villages. In the end of 18th century and beginning of 19th century a lot of crafts were developed - carpentry, pottery, leather-working, fuller's trade, tailor's trade, coppersmith's trade, goldsmith's trade, wood-carving, driving.
In 1812 a monastery school and a church opened. In 1850 a non-clerical school arised. The economic uplift and freedom-loving spirit of mountain-dwellers made Novo Selo one of the centres of the April Uprising. In 1872, Levski organized a secret revolutionary committee. In April, 1976 only residents of the Novo Selo's hollow rebelled against the enslaver. For nine whole days the Freedom triumphed In this region, but the natives pay with a lot of blood and 772 buildings burnt to ashes. The voivode Tsanko Dyustabanov who came with the Gabrovo's band to rescue them was killed too. The great part of survivors migrated to other parts of the country.
In 1 976 on the occasion of 100th anniversary of the Novo Selo's (the April) Uprising the four villages of Ostrets, Zla Reka, Novo Selo and Vidima joined together into the town of Apriltsi. Nowadays Apriltsi is a charming mountain resort.



 
top